Sunday, October 5, 2014

Of A Boy in Baltimore

Dear White Boy of Baltimore,

I know you weren’t taught to be racist. Perhaps it’s the society that shaped your mind and view on seeing a black boy like me. Perhaps you have been ‘forced’ to absorb prejudice attitude towards a black boy like me.

I am just a little boy, who knows little about differences between “Nigger” and “White people”. You called me such name and that has changed my view upon the world. The word you used will forever paint a mark in my life.

I suspect something is definitely wrong with our national culture. I suspect there must be some nasty stereotypes or prejudices have been planted against my kind. I thought to myself, if all these suspicious judgments are real, what else could be worse than being bigoted in your own country?

Above all, I am very thankful that I experience racism in this early age. It heightened my inspiration to speak for my community, but I would not condemn your people as that will only make me like a racist myself. All I want is for racism to end.

I know it’s easier to pretend that racism is a thing of the past because you can get by just fine doing that so why can’t I? But here’s the thing: it’s not about you. You are not the one who is slurred, you’re not the one who is called ‘Nigger’ and you’re certainly not the one who is seen differently in this beautiful city of Baltimore. It’s about us. I want you to acknowledge that fact. To recognise that I experience racism.

Sincerely,
The Black Boy



No comments:

Post a Comment